Thursday, September 4, 2008

Chapter Two - Who do you relate to?

I feel that keeping this blog will help me to reflect back on what I have learned and different ways to incorporate it into my classrooms. It is much like a journal, in that it is a place where I can include my personal experiences with something new that I have learned, and together, develop a new practice.

In this chapter, we learned about different theorists such as Vygotsky, Piaget, and Erikson.

Erikson developed Eight stages of Psychosocial Development. This covers the human lifespan from birth until old age. In each stage, he depicts different characteristics of that particular age group.

Piaget developed his own stages of cognitive development. They consist of the following: Sensorimotor (birth -2 years), Preoperational (2yr - 7yr), Concrete Operational (7yr - 11yr), and Formal Operational (11yr - older). These after different levels of organization and adaptation skills, as learned by age.

While they all have theories in which I can relate to, I found myself leaning more towards Vygotsky. Because I plan to teach early childhood to 4th grade, I plan to incorporate Vygotsky's theories into my classroom.

Vygotsky did not really set up stages, or specification of what and how one should learned based upon their age. Instead, he developed techniques for teaching pre-school aged children, and school aged. For those from birth - pre-K aged children, Vygotsky said they learned through spontaneous concepts. They learn these basic "rules" through interaction and mimicking their playmates, parents and teachers.

One quotes from Vygotsky, which I absolutely love is "Through others we become ourselves." I love that line because it is simply stated, and straight to the point.

I was surprised to see how many students in our class also found themselves identifying to Vygotsky. I liked to read their posts and see how they incorporate what they have learned in this chapter to what they have experienced in life. One student wrote that he sees his 3 year old daughter mimicking his 6 year old daughter everyday! It makes sense. We have all seen children doing this, but until now, I know that I personally have never really stopped to think about it.

I wrote in the DB this week about the country song by Rodney Atkins "Watching You". In the song the little boy, his son, says "I've been watching you, Dad. Ain't that cool? I'm your buckaroo. I want to be like you. Eat all my food, and grow as tall as you are." In these 5 sentences, the "spontaneous concepts" as dubbed by Vygotsky are played out. The little boy watches his dad, and because he loves his dad, and wants to be like him, he repeats everything that he sees Dad do.


Later in the song it says "Then my four-year old said a four letter word. It started with an S and I was concerned." This is another example of our children learning to do what they see us do. While I don't have any children yet, my nephew has done this a time or two. He hears his mommy say this four-letter word under her breath when she spills her coffee on her pants on the way to work, or gets stuck at a red light when she is already running late. To him, this is acceptable. I mean, Mommy says it, right? :)

Vygotsky says that school- aged children learn scientific concepts. These are the psychological tools needed to learn. By learning these techniques, they will be able to apply them to their studies, and life itself. He also dubbed the practice of helping students to learn answers to difficult questions by telling them how to research them, or asking leading questions as scaffolding. In my classroom, scaffolding will be one of the top ways of educating my students. I've had teachers that just answer the question for you, and others that lead your to the answer by showing how to find it. I can promise you that the latter of the two are what has stuck with me throughout life. I even use techniques I learned in junior high to help me today with my college work.

Technology can be applied to Vygotskys theories in two ways. The students can use the computer as a tool in helping them to research the answers to their questions. And by using the computer to link themselves to other learners working towards the same goals. Although at such early grade levels the children will be limited to computer knowledge, I can make that a part of my basic instruction. I will pair the children up and they can have "computer time." In these sessions, the children will learn via the computer programs I have installed for them. I will have the computer area next to my desk so that I can help them if need be. Although my nephew is only 2 1/2, he already uses computer learning disks. If you put their favorite cartoon character on a disk, he will watch it for hours at a time. He doesn't even realize he is learning! Almost immediately, he begins to mimic the computer. This is just one more way to learn those "spontaneous concepts."


The computer in itself is a tool to help you in learning. In collaborating with others that are encouraged to use the same learning techniques as you are, the students are more successful. It's just like having an online study group for instance. This semester, I am taking 18 hours of online courses. Obviously, online classes work better with my schedule, so why wouldn't an online study group? At some point, I plan to ask other classmates of mine to join a study group, whether it is a discussion board or school related chatroom. Being involved with other students trying to reach the same goals as I am not only motivates me to stay involved, but also helps me to succeed.

No comments: