Friday, November 7, 2008

Approaches to Instruction (Week 11)

*Chapter Summary*

This week, we have studied the various approaches to instruction. We learned the importance of devising and using objectives. We learned that goals are set that describe the general educational outcomes and that the objectives used to meet those must be observable. We discussed taxonomy, which is the term given to arranging categories in a hierarchical order.

We discussed the behavioral approach to teaching, which focuses on direct instruction. This type of instruction is aimed toward teaching the students basic skills, and keeping them on-task in a structured and guided independent practice.

We also discussed the cognitive approach to teaching, which
encompasses meaningful and self-directed learning. This way, teachers tell the
students what they are expected to learn and will be tested over and the
information is presented in organized meaningful lessons. By exposing the
students to multiple points of view, meaningful learning takes place. We also
learned that technology supports a cognitive approach to teaching by allowing
the students to code, store and retrieve information.


The humanistic approach addresses needs, motives, and self-perceptions. Two big supporters of this approach were Maslow and Rogers.

The social approach to teaching involves teaching the students how to learn from each other, and discourages competitive reward structures. This way also encourages mixed-ability groups rather than homogeneous groups of high ability students vs. low-ability students. This approach also promotes student interaction, as well as individual accountability.


*Back to Me*

I think that a lot of my teachers were supporters of a behavioral approach in school. Most of them used positive reinforcement to encourage us, while giving direct instruction and keeping us on-task. I think this is a helpful approach, but personally, I think that I will fall into a mix between cognitive and social approaches to teaching.


*How This Benefits Me*

This post in particular will benefit me when I am determining my instructional approach within my classroom. As I stated above, I think that I will use a mix between cognitive and social approaches with my students.


*This Week In the DB*

I was amazed to see how many students preferred different styles of instruction. I also was surprised to see that one of the students asked me about my choices in what I would hop to incorporate within my classroom, and whether or not I experienced them.


*Question of the Week*

http://www.sandi.net/about/index.html

Pick a school and answer the following questions:

Would you want to teach in this particular school district?
No.

What makes this school district stand out from others that you found on the Internet?
Its size. It is the 8th largest district in the nation.

Are there specific features that this school district has to offer that you hadn't thought of before? What are they? If not, what would you like?
No. I would like to see their NCLB ratings and AYP reports.

Would you ever consider applying for a job at this school district? Why or why not?
No. I think that it is too big. I would not want to live in an area that size, so I do not expect to ever face this opportunity. I can however appreciate the teachers there. They have an incredibly diverse student population.

Based on what we've learned so far in this class, how does this school district measure up?
I suppose it is good? I mean, I was unable to find a lot of information about the students achievements. It was primarily about the repairs and building new schools.

No comments: