Sunday, November 30, 2008

Standardized Testing (week 15)

*Chapter Summary*

The definition of standardized testing is: "Items presented and scored in standard fashion; results reported with reference to standards." These tests are used to identify strengths and weaknesses in students, teachers, and lesson plans.

Some of the different aspects of these tests that were discussed int eh chapter are as follows:
  • Reliability
  • Validity
  • Content validity
  • Predictive validity
  • Construct validity

In this chapter, we also learned that competency tests determine whether or not potential graduates obtain the skills necessary to do so. Aptitude testing allows the capability to develop additional skills in a specific area. Norm-referenced tests compare one student to others. Criterion-referenced tests show the level of mastery of certain objectives. We also learned that achievement tests measure the amount to which a specific subject or skill has been learned. Within achievement tests, there are tests called "diagnostic achievement tests." These are meant to identify specific strengths and weaknesses.

We also learned some different terminology used with standardized-test scores. They are as follows:

  • Percentile-rank : percentage of scores at or below a given point.
  • Standard deviation: degree of deviation from the mean of a distribution.
  • z score: compares the raw score from the averages of standard deviation units.
  • T score: Raw score translated on a scale of 1-100; the mean is 50.
  • Stanine score: students performance indicated with reference to a 9-point scaled based on a normal curve.

Other topics discussed int eh chapter included NCLB and it's impact on schools and testing, as well as high-stakes testing. High-stakes testing is when school districts or other individuals use test scores to hold students and teachers accountable for achievement and AYP.

*In My Life*

My opinions on standardized testing is derived from my personal experiences in school. I am a good student. I am not a great test-taker. When all the tests are multiple-choice or true/false standardized tests, I do not do as well as open response or essay questions.

For another one of my courses I had to interview a teacher. I asked her what she thought about the use of standardized testing, and she told me that she used to not like them, but recently, her school stared using the scantron. She can grade all 142 students' papers in 15 minutes. She says this opens more time for her to teach.

I can see how this is a benefit to using. With more time to teach, the students have a better opportunity to learn. I'm still hung-up on this issue though.

*My Perspective as a Teacher*

This course has allowed me to learn so much of the basic information behind teaching practices and trends that are currently in place. I think that through the discussion boards a blogging, I have been able to some up with some deep-rooted opinions that I otherwise probably would not have known I had. I have enjoyed this course and look forward to implementing the practices I have learned and using observation skills to determine what works best in my classroom and for my students.

*Question of the Week*

The question for this week is: Look at the following education blog for the week
http://tcmtechnologyblog.blogspot.com/


Would a blog like this one help you with your teaching?

Yes. I think that this blog, like others we have looked at has valuable information that could benefit both students and teachers. I think that anything that is proven successful with students or that positively benefits the learning process with others should be shared.


Would you be able to get ideas for teaching from this blog? How? Why? Explain.

Yes. Like I said above, I think this blog has some interesting information on it. This blog is full of presentations and other techniques that could help improve a teacher's success and that of her students.


Did you learn something new from the blogger? What and why did it strike you as memorable?

Yes. Without looking at this blog, I wouldn't have known about the lodge or anything new that was mentioned to me. I do not understand calculus or any advanced math for that matter, so the clips don't really benefit me.


Would you want to create a site like this for others? Why or why not?

Again, yes. I think that if I knew something that had been successful in my classroom, creating a blog for others to look to for ideas could be beneficial. Also, a blog like this is a good spot to put tactics or approaches that were not successful and your thoughts and feeling about it.

No comments: