Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chapter Three - Age Groups

In this chapter, we have covered some of the different characteristics of different age groups. I was very impressed with the amount of detail put into each development stage for each age group. I was also surprised to see some of the different characteristics of the older age groups, like the depression statistics among females in the high school age group. I was also surprised that the text says that the girls in middle school that mature later, are more likely to be popular and "care-free."

My experiences in life thus far have indicated to me that girls that develop earlier are generally more popular, or at least they were when I was in school. Most of the other characteristics listed in the book coincide with my perceptions of development thus far.

Working in groups this week in the discussion board, I have been able to learn a lot about my partner. She and I are both taking 6 online classes this semester, and were both dreading this project until we realized how efficient the other was. I think this is actually my favorite assignment so far this semester. I find it interesting to hear about the ways others read and interpret the information we learn weekly. This assignment has allowed me to do that on a more personal basis.

Through this week's discussion boards, I was also able to find some very interesting websites to aid in bringing technology into the classroom. Another recommendation I found to be interesting, was the sit that our instructor posted, which had details that involved using a wii remote for educational purposes. A lot of my classmates put some great effort into their replies about technology, and I think that those have given the rest of us some great ideas for our own classroom.

Keeping this blog will allow me to focus on the material that I learned each particular week, and to look back and see what I learned and what perceptions that I originally had that have changed as a result of this course.

I plan to teach kindergarten. The age-level characteristics that I have learned in this chapter will enable me to better create my lesson plans for how the students of that age learn. I learned that students of that age do not have fully developed eyes, and that is the reason for the large print in books, and bright primary colors. I found the text helpful in offering suggestions of effective teaching styles for students of that age.

I think that as result of this class, and this chapter, as well as the handbook assignment in particular. This handbook and the information I have learned in this assignment will serve as a helpful reference tool for me when I enter into the teaching field. Because of the research I have done as part of this chapter, I have learned effective teaching techniques, helpful hints for teaching this age group.

No comments: