Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In this chapter we have learned about the learning styles of students and about the accuracy of intelligence and aptitude tests. I was surprised to see that all of the research that has proven that these test are not entirely accurate, and in fact only measure a students scholarly aptitude and learning styles correctly some of the time, that these test are still being used in schools.

When I was in school I hated to take the aptitude tests. I was an excellent student, but I'm not a great test taker. One test that I really enjoyed was the ones to take at the end of the year that supposedly predicted what field you would work in or be best in. I find it funny to think about about the results. They were always so wide-spread. I do remember that most of them said I had the best scores in the English category and most predicted that I would be best as a writer. Interestingly enough, I plan to become a Children's book writer after I obtain my teaching degree. This blog will help me to look back and remember my feelings on teaching techniques, and testing specifically as I gradually come into my own practices as a teacher.

In the discussion boards, I liked one student's post to 4.1 in particular. She elaborated on differentiated instruction. Providing a variety of instruction to help the students in class distinguish what the learning style they identify best with is a great practice that I think should be incorporated into every classroom.

Again this week we are working with partners. I have been very happy with my partner two weeks running and enjoy benefiting from their feedback on the assignment as well. I think that our DB post for teaching science to fifth graders has been the best assignment so far. I love to think about making lesson plans and developing teaching techniques to help to provide differentiated instruction to my students.

My classroom will be a safe environment, full of learning opportunities for my students. I plan to have different "labs" set up around the room. The students will rotate through the labs as we study each topic. As I plan to teach kindergarten, I hope to have labs that tap into the creativeness of the students. Hands on learning will be big in my classroom too.

I hope to have the kids cubbys in the back of the classroom. I will have the students at tables in the middle of the classroom and the different lab tables in the corners of the classroom. As I have previously stated, I hope to have a computer lab next to my desk so that I am able to help the students with any questions they may have.

Learning about the different learning styles and theories on students have helped to prepare me to teach. As excited as I am to being my career, one thing that I feel like I need to learn more about is the typical curriculum for each grade. I also hope to learn to speak Spanish, as I plan to teach in Northwest Arkansas and there is a large Hispanic population there.

No comments: